Quite often I am amazed about how little it can take to make me happy. Sometimes taking simple actions can make a big difference in how we feel. Interestingly, they don’t always have to cost money either. This morning I thought of 14 things a person can do to help make any day more enjoyable. Here they are:
1. Go for a walk. Look carefully at your surroundings and see if you can discover beauty you didn’t notice before. Smile at the people you pass.
2. Make a list of who and what you are thankful for. See how long you can make the list.
3. Call someone you listed above and tell them what you appreciate about them.
4. Journal about your favorite memory. This could lead to starting a journaling habit, which can be very inspiring and relaxing.
5. Find something you don’t need anymore, that you think someone else might need or like, and offer it on freecycle.
6. Sing your favorite song.
7. Invite someone over to your place for a visit, or find another way to spend time with them.
8. Re-read a favorite book or take out a library book on a topic that interests you. If you need ideas, go to the section of new arrivals or look over the carts of books ready to be put back on the shelves.
9. Take 15 minutes and clear out all the clutter in a small area of your home, such as a table or drawer. Then take a few minutes to admire how good it looks.
10. Write a haiku.
11. Offer to do something for someone else (or help them with something they are doing).
12. Finish a project you have been putting off doing, such as organizing photos or recipes, or finishing a sewing or art project. Think about how good it feels to have it done.
13. Give yourself something positive to look forward to by writing down an achievable goal you will do tomorrow.
14. Go outside at night and admire the stars.
What do you like to do that makes you happy? You’re welcome to share these ideas in the comments.